Saturday 1 March 2014

Cheese and Potato Bake

 
 
Last week a friend sent me a link to a recipe that had become a favourite with her family, she had taken the idea from Netmums.  I have found Netmums a good source of  frugal recipes, but I found that I could tweak them to be a bit more to our taste and budget.  This dish calls for leftover roast chicken, but I think that any bits that you have in the fridge will work just as well. I used a few bacon lardons and a leek from the garden.  I have not given amounts for the recipe, as that will depend on how many you are feeding, and what you have available.
 
INGREDIANTS:
 
- Potatoes.
- Cheese sauce.
- Cheese.
- whatever left overs you have in the fridge (bacon, chicken, mushrooms, onion, leeks, sweet corn  etc.).
 
METHOD:
 
-Layer a ovenproof dish with thinly sliced potato.
 
-Lightly fry some chopped onion, mushrooms and bacon lardons  or whatever takes your fancy. Mix  together with the cooked left over chicken, if you have it.
 
-Spread this mixture over the potato slices and top with a layer of cheese sauce. Then a layer it up like a lasagne.  Finishing off on top with a layer of grated cheese.
 
-Pop in oven (180 C/Gas 4) for about an hour, but check that the potato is cooked. 
 
This is nice eaten with leafy salad, but again that depends on your budget.  I hope you enjoy this as much as we all did, this is now set to regular appearance on our meal planner.

No comments:

Post a Comment