Friday 17 January 2014

Cheese and Onion soup

A friend of mine was talking about an amazing soup that she has recently made, it had become a firm favourite with her family.  Once I found out that it was really cheap to make, I asked her for the recipe. I am always interested in frugal recipe, that help me to keep to the food shopping budget. I made this Cheese and Onion soup and WOW, I love it!!!

Ingredients

  • 2 chopped Onions (you can use red or white, I have even used Welsh Onions from my garden)
  • 3 pints of chicken stock
  • A handful of Grated cheese
  • Seasoning
Method

  1. Chop the onions, and fry them gently in the butter.
  2. Once the onions are soft, add the chicken stock. 
  3. Add the grated cheese, stir until melted.
  4. Blitz with your stick blender.
  5. Season to taste.
All amounts are approximant, as I keep tasting as I go when I make it.
A slight variation that another friend came up with, was to make the soup without the cheese. Then make cheese on toast, once the soup is in the bowl float the cheese and toast on top.  I have to admit that I love this version too, and it makes my lunch a bit more filling.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment